Thursday, July 12, 2007

100 Days, or I am fully aware I am a freak

Our Disney vacation starts in 100 days...can you tell I am a little excited about it?

Ray and I spent part of our honeymoon in Disney World...Ashley has been three times....We sold our souls a few years ago and purchased a Disney time share so that we could guarantee a trip there every year...I played in the Magic Music Days in high school...we stopped off at Disney World when I was a senior in college on our way to the Orange Bowl to see Virginia Tech get killed by Nebraska.

My guest room in my house? Disney comforter. Disney lamp.

I have brainwashed my kids. Audrey now points to the many Mickey's we have in our house and says his name.

And yes, I loved Disney and Disney World prior to having children. But now? The look on Ashley's face the first time she saw Mickey Mouse or had breakfast with Cinderella? Absolutely priceless. I have been known to get teary eyed when watching my kids witness something for the first time in Disney.

And a big part of what intrigues Ray and I about Disney is the amount of planning and thought that has been put into the Disney World parks and resorts. The attention to detail is unreal, the service has always been spectacular, and since we never go in the summer, we have never had to deal with many crowds.

And just to prove what a nut I am, I am going to provide you with some lesser known Disney World facts.


  • The buildings on Main Street start out at scale size and then the second and third floors are smaller in size than the first floor to create the illusion that the building is actually taller than it really is.

  • The smell of fresh baked goods as you pass by the bakery on Main Street, USA in the Magic Kingdom is artificially produced and mechanically introduced to the outside air by fans.

  • Walt envisioned Magic Kingdom as a movie. The reason you have to go left or right under the train station is to obscure the view of the Castle, the main show. You pass under the tunnel and see the attraction posters, the previews. As soon as you enter, you have popcorn vendors, like the consession stand. As you walk up Main Street, you see the credits of the folks who helped build the park in the windows of the stores, like the credits at the begining of a film. The street also has a slight incline up so the Castle slowly enters your field of vision. And finally, the Castle, the movie itself.

  • In the main street credit windows, only Walt Disney's window above the Ice Creamery faces the castle.

  • Walts hand is placed over top of Mickey's in the famous partners statue symbolizing his hand over everything he created, as opposed to Roy's hand which is placed palm side up in his statue with Minnie to symbolize being the financial element (think of money stacked in palm)...also Minnie is sitting in the middle of the bench because in early times it was improper for a girl to be at the end of the bench..this also leaves a spot for Mickey to theoretically come and sit. And the ring on Walt's raised hand is a little different...its a Mickey ring.
  • In the jungle cruise one of the natives Says I love disco.....

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

Please don't fall over with shock or ban me from reading you, but I've never been to Disney. I've loved Mickey for years and the magic that is Disney, but never been. I've been wanting to go for the last 8 years or so and am anxious for Morgan to be old enough. I'm thinking of planning a family trip for next year. I'll be hitting you up for the best time to go, things to do, etc. :)

CPA Mom said...

I've not been to Disney since I was a little kid. We are waiting to take the kids until they are a little older and can appreciate it. When we do go, I'd like to go with you, Michele_3 and Denise since you three know all the ins and outs!

Unknown said...

You are Disney's perfect customer ;-). Since I only live about an hour away, I could go anytime. However, we've only taken the kids to Animal Kingdom and never to the Magic Kingdom. Now that they are older, we'll probably go soon. And VERY smart to go in the fall!!

Edie said...

Ok, I guess I must be a Disney nut too b/c I knew all but two of those facts!

100 days is going to fly by!! It will be here before you know it.

Happy Working Mom said...

I have a friend that is obsessed like you are! I too love Disney, and loved it before I had kids (hubby and I went there for spring break in college one year). I'm thinking about taking the kids there in November or December (not at Christmast though...I've heard the crowds are horrific!).

I can't wait to hear all about your trip!!! Where are you guys staying?

Beccy said...

We went to Disneyland in 2002, I'd never really wanted to go before but we had a brilliant time. I'd love to take Ben back because he doesn't remember it.

frannie said...

now I really want to go to Disney World!!!

and you should stop by here on your way! do you go 85? I'm not too far off of it... maybe 4 miles or so.

Julie said...

Ok, the native saying I Love Disco? That's funny. Like some mousekateer's (SP?) idea of a joke? Don't they call all their workers "cast members" too? Guess that fits in with the movie theme.

We've never taken Abby and I feel a little guilty about it. She's probably at a great age to go - but Emily probably isn't. She is afraid of anything in a costume!

my4kids said...

Your not a freak. I love Disney as well. Ask my kids we have every disney movie created and lots of other items. I helped get my kids into disney characters and all of there Halloween costumes until they could choose on their own which in my mind wasn't until like 4 were Disney characters then they usually chose them on their own. Especially the girls. I used to go to Disnay all the time when I was a kid but can't convince the hubby to take the kids now. He's never been so he just doesn't understand...

Rachel (Crazy-Is) said...

I've never been to Disney. :( One day, though, one day!

Anonymous Fat Blogger said...

You already know I'm a Disney freak too! Our trip's a month away and I can't wait. This time we're doing all the parks!

Anonymous said...

I was in Orlando twice. Both times, someone prevented me from going to DisneyWorld (Land? I can never keep those straight) Both times, I had to go to GatorWorld. I hate my family

Julie said...

I've been meaning to ask you - and the answer is probably yes - but do you have the Disney Crocs?

Unknown said...

I have only been once in 10th grade, and I too played in the Disney Days parade! We are taking Caleb next year for his birthday, since I assume he will be old enough to understand things (and small enough to NOT ride on the scary rides that I fear so much).

3XMom said...

How is the timeshare? we've been thinking of doing it..love to hear if you feel its worth it!

Erin said...

um... huh... am I the only one who thinks you're a Mickey Mouse stalker??

:-)

Anonymous said...

Jeezz... I would say you are a Disney Expert!! You're just like SIL. She LOVES Disney, they are actally there right now. They, too, have a timeshare and make sure they get there every year!!

I have 3 little boys... my husband has never been to Disney... and I am so excited to bring them ALL! My oldest is 2 1/2... so I'm trying to figure out a good time to bring them ALL!!!

LOVE your blog!!

- Audrey
Pinks & Blues Girls

la bellina mammina said...

I've never been to Disney, but I'm excited for you & family!!

That Chick Over There said...

We're going then too and I can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!

a happier girl said...

That post is such a wonderful advertisement for Disney! I can't wait to take my kids one day. We're waiting until the youngest gets a little older but I know I'll cry when I watch my kids experience it.