Wednesday, July 02, 2008

I Heart Strawberries

Strawberries are my sweet addiction when it comes to fruit. And thankfully, Ashley shares in my love of them (the other child who shall not be named won't touch fruit, the stinker). I am constantly looking for new recipes to use strawberries. Fortunately for us, we have a local farmer's market as well as plenty of farms around us to get the freshest strawberries.


And while we may not live even remotely close to California, the California Strawberry Commission website offer tons of information.

If you are looking for recipes, check out this site.


If you are looking for a fun site with cool activities for kids, check out Strawberryville.


Some fun facts to stump your 5 year old (or heck, stump yourself):
- There are about 200 seeds on the outside of each strawberry
- If you lined up all of the strawberries grown in California in one straight line, they would wrap around the entire Earth 15 times
- One acre of land (about the size of one football field) grows about 50,000 pounds of strawberries - that's the same weight as 4 elephants

4 comments:

Misty said...

thanks for this! honestly... It's wonderful! We LOVE strawberries...

Amanda-The Family News! said...

I LOVE strawberries too!!! My favorite!!

debi9kids said...

We must've been on the same wavelength today! I posted pics of my son making homemade Strawberry jam on my blog today. Very yummy! (well, actually Triple Berry Jersey jam! DELISH!)

Laura said...

Ohhh... I will have to check out this link - we love strawberries here...and even planted a few plants this year...thanks for sharing.

Funny, I posted a stawberry dessert recipe - we must be on the same wave length!