Wednesday, July 16, 2008

The Third Day of Kindergarten, Not So Good....

In Ashley's backpack, in the special folder for communication from home to school and vice versa, an excerpt from her first letter home:

"Ashley has had a difficult time following directions today....when asked not to do something, she did it anyway. Please speak to her concerning following directions."

I am not sure if I should save it for the scrapbook. For some reason, I was hoping for a good first letter home to put in her scrapbook, not a letter on THE THIRD FREAKING DAY OF SCHOOL that she has been bad.

I'm frustrated and mad and sad and angry and disappointed, all rolled into one. I so want Ashley to be that good student that sits quietly and listens to the teachers. I'm disappointed in her that she acted that way and didn't listen to her teachers. I have no idea why she acted that way...maybe she was tired, maybe she was having a bad day? I don't know. I also want to know what is expected of her before I get another note home. We think there is some sort of smiley face/frownie face thing they have to be on - smiley when they are good, frownie when they are bad.

We discussed the situation with her, and talked to her about her behavior, which I am pretty sure just made her worse as she decided that when we had to go in from playing outside, she ran away from me. If you have never had your child run away from you and want to know how it feels, it sucks. Big time. Bedtime was even worse...and then she dropped her huge Princess book on her foot and cried and cried like her foot was broken.

It's been a great day, can you tell?

11 comments:

Mrs. Schmitty said...

Kindergarten is a big deal and she just started. I guarantee you that she is tired and a little overwhelmed. It takes some time for them to get adjusted. She'll be okay. My W. used to be the same way the first few weeks of school. Come to think of it, he still is and he's going into 5th grade. My other two will be going through this in a few weeks as well. Kindergarten and Preschool start. Hang in! :)

Laura said...

HUGS!

She is just testing limits of her new environment...hang in there, things will sort themselves out...

Happy Working Mom said...

Oh Amy, I'm so sorry you're dealing with this stress! I'm sure this is hard...I can't even imagine how I would feel if this same situation happened to me. I'm sure she's just getting used to things and that everything will be straightened out soon.

My sister-in-law said that her son's daycare was a lot more lenient about things than Kindergarten, so at the beginning he had some discipline issues as well, but once he got used to what was expected of him in school, he was fine.

Our Moments said...

Soon, she will learn what is expected of her and I think these issues will resolve themselves. I'm sorry this is so stressful for you. :(

I'm here if you need anything.

Anonymous said...

Oh, you poor thing. I taught kindergarten and I get it. It's harder on you than her, I'm sure. She's likely in a bit of shock from change of routine and everything will fall into place. Hugs!

3XMom said...

She is just getting used to things and testing her boundaries. We had the same thing - 2 weeks into K at our school, they have a parent-teacher conference to talk about how the transition is going. We thought ours would be all about how wonderful/amazing our DD was. Instead it was that she wasn't listening to the teacher! We were mortified. But it changed quickly. One thing we did, was create a chart with each day of the week. It went in DD's backpack and folder, and her teacher either gave her a smiley face or sad face each day. We only had to do it 2 weeks. Good luck!

Jen @ One Moms World said...

(((HUGS))) mama! It will get better. It's just a new environment probably and she is trying things out. This will be a whole new ballgame to us as well 3 weeks from today.

Anonymous said...

I think I have a different take on this... it Is only the 3rd day, shouldn't the teacher be a little more understanding? Shouldn't she talk to her about what is expected? I mean, this isn't like 3rd grade or anything when they know what is expected. I think the teacher should have been a little bit more proactive in teaching her herself rather than lay the entire blame on Ashley or you.

That's my 2 cents :)

That Chick Over There said...

Kindergarten is huge. It really is. She'll adjust and she'll be fine. Promise.

Lori said...

I'm sorry to hear that. I never wrote notes like that the first week or two unless it was a MAJOR issue which that doesn't seem to me to qualify as a major issue. I would just remind her in the morning to listen and follow directions and leave it at that.

the first few weeks are a major adjustment phase so I wouldn't panic

Frannie said...

wow. just wow.

I bet she is just overtired. She has had so many changes in the past week... it's hard for an adult to adjust- much less a little one.

thank goodness it's vacation time.