Monday, November 02, 2009

Hollyfest 5K Race Recap

So three weekends in a row, I have a race to run. Weekend before last was the 10-miler, and this past weekend was a 5K race in my town. And of course next weekend is my first 1/2 marathon.

We were supposed to run 5 miles on Saturday per our training schedule, and we figured we could run the race, and then run home. Then it was raining/drizzling and me and my two friends that ran the 5K together TOTALLY KICKED A$$ in it, so we said that was good.

Seriously, I ran this 5K 6 minutes faster than I have ever run a 5K! Wahoo for a PR!

Our town is hilly, and it sucks. I don't think there was a flat part of the course for this race. It was either up a hill or down a hill. So that was hard. It was also a small field of runners, probably only about 150 or less (the official results have not been posted yet). The other weird thing was that we had chips for timing, but we didn't run over the mat for the start, only at the end. They just started the time I guess on everyone's chip at the same time. When we figured out that was what they were going to do, we lined up right at the start line.

So the first mile was straight up a hill, and I really didn't feel like I was going too fast. Guys were passing me left and right. I had started my watch right when we started so when we passed the first mile marked and I checked my watch and saw 8:40, I was SHOCKED. Holy crap, I just ran a sub-9 minute mile straight up a hill! Mile 2 and 3 I definitely slowed down on the hills and kept my two friends in my sight to help me keep a pace. I lost them near the end because we were rounding corners to quick. I had really, really wanted to get under 30 minutes, and when I rounded the last corner and saw 28 minutes on the clock, I was shocked!!

So unofficial time was 28:41, or a 9:15/mile pace. Not bad considering how freaking hilly it was.

This week we are supposed to do a couple of 2 mile runs in preparation for the 1/2 this Sunday. And yes, I have started checking the weather - Sunny and 60 so far. Keep praying that it doesn't change!

EDITED TO ADD:
I placed 8/21 for my age group (30-34) and 21/85 females with an official time of 28:43. WAHOO!

4 comments:

Carmen said...

Isn't it amazing what race day can do to your time. That is so great! My sister-in-law did her first half yesterday and had an awesome time...1:51:59. I'll stick with my 2:10 goal.

SJINCO said...

Congratulations! I'm sure you'll continually improve with each race you run!

Anonymous said...

Here are the Hollyfest results:
http://www.queencitytiming.com/2009_results/8th_annual_hollyfest_5k.htm

Mel -Tall Mom on the Run said...

AMAZING PR!! And to beat the hills too.. YIPPEE!!