Saturday, February 13, 2010

Myrtle Beach 1/2 Marathon Race Recap

Um, yea. No recap.

The race was cancelled by city officials. At 10:30pm on Friday night.

Yea, not fun. But we still got a shirt! And a medal! And a hat!

So it snowed in Myrtle Beach, something that never happens. Or hasn't happened in a decade. It was probably 2-3 inches on the grass, but it didn't stick to the road. The concerns from city officials was that since the course wasn't on a completely closed course that the runners would be in danger of the cars in the lanes next to the race course. This is completely understandable. I just wish they had made the decision in the morning, not the night before.

And honestly, I don't feel sorry for me. I feel bad for all those running the marathon that were going to use this as a Boston qualifier race. The course for this race is completely flat, and I am sure fast times would have been posted.

I haven't decided what to do next. There is a race in Raleigh the end of March, but it's a hilly course. The same for a 1/2 Marathon in Fredericksburg, VA in May. I am actually back home now as I drove back when I got up this morning. Because the other drama was that the heat at my parents' house didn't work, so I had to crash at my friend's in-laws house. Yea, it was that good of a trip.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I feel you pain. I feel bad for those who were hoping for a BQ too. Most of the people I know either ran it anyway or headed home. I did a little difference did a short run this morning and I'm heading out for 13.1 tomorrow.