Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Running Mojo

Last week, I lost the will to run. A few things caused this - that time of the month, a sore throat and swollen glands in my neck, a hip that hurt, Audrey's birthday, the coldest winter Raleigh has seen in a long time. I ran once, on the treadmill, and stopped when my hip pain became more than I was willing to run through. I think my body was telling me I needed a break. I have been training for this marathon since August really - a 16 week training program up until my half in November, and then another 16 week program that overlapped that one by 2 weeks for the marathon in February.

Of course I am worried about the lost mileage last week, but it was a step down week of only 27 miles, so I am trying not to stress about it too much. I did see my massage guy Friday night for some active release therapy and WOW did it hurt. My hip pain in my left hip seemed to stem from a strained butt muscle and a sore hamstring. He worked on my left side for most of the hour.

And last night? I knocked out 5 fast miles on the "dreadmill" and felt minimal pain. I have my running mojo back. And just in time for my last 20 miler of this training cycle this Saturday.

1 comment:

Melinda said...

You are smart to back off the training a bit if you have this much dragging you down. The miles you miss are not as important as getting some rest when you need it. I hope you feel better soon!