Monday, September 25, 2006

Friendly Street

When we moved to North Carolina, we wanted to live in a “family friendly neighborhood”. We wanted kids for the girls to play with, and happy, social neighbors. We were coming from a neighborhood where our street had no little kids and not so friendly neighbors.

We are very, very happy where we live. It’s just things are getting a little out of control on our street…

It all started with a playgroup set up for the kids that will go to kindergarten in 2008 with Ashley. There are about 15 kids on our street in that category, and one of the moms set up a playgroup to meet twice a month so these kids can get to know each other. One Saturday a month (basically because I bitched that I worked full time and can’t attend during the week) and one Monday a month.

Then one of the moms wanted to do a Halloween parade on Saturday, October 28th. I actually did the flyer for it. Well, the simple parade ended up being a parade with cupcakes, pizza and gifts for the kids at the end (there are 48 kids on our street). And the parade is at 4:00 pm and will likely be over at 4:15 pm. Yea for dinner on a Saturday night at 4:15 pm.

So I am sitting at work, and I get this email:
Hi everyone, I know it's a little early to start thinking about Christmas,
but I wanted to make sure we got the clubhouse, because it's the
nicest.:) We are all set for December 16th at 4:00, I just need to drop off
the deposit. Jessica and I were talking about having it catered by Daniel's,
let me know what you all think
Thanks
Heather

So I guess we are having a Christmas party catered for the kids at Christmas time. Interesting. And it’s at the clubhouse. And it’s catered by Daniel’s (no idea what that restaurant is, so don’t ask).

My neighbor across the street from me and I started chatting. We think some of the moms are in competition with each other to plan all these events. Part of me is like, cool, these are all great ideas, gets us all together, fine and dandy. Then the other part of me is like, we don’t all need to get along all the time. I hang out with certain people on the street for various reasons (we are alike or we have kids the same age, etc.) and it works out great. And other neighbors gravitate towards other neighbors as well.

Anyways, as I said before, we love where we live and know our neighbors would do anything for us. It just cracks me up sometimes to have all this stuff going on.

No comments: