Wednesday, September 27, 2006

It Happened

Well, it finally happened. Ashley told me last night she "didn't like me." I thought she would at least be twelve before she said that. Nope, she's three.

We were walking home after playing with some neighbors and their kids, and I made her stop before she attempted to cross the street by herself. I picked her up and she abruptly told me, "I don't like you." How do you respond to that? I just told her that wasn't very nice and that I didn't want her to run into the street. And then I kind of left it at that.

I think she might have picked it up from her good friend Max. Our friends were visiting this weekend, and Max told his Mom Heather that at one point. And he told me that, and Ashley might have heard. Or she could have learned it from school, who knows and who cares. I just wasn't prepared to hear it. Ashley does tell us she loves us unprompted all the time, so at least that is some consolation.

4 comments:

Happy Working Mom said...

Ooohhhh, I'm sorry :( You're right, we all expect to hear it at some point, but it still catches us off guard. My daughter has said it to me kind of testing-like, and I say the same thing, that it isn't nice and it hurts my feelings.

Just know that she doesn't mean it...at least not yet. I'm sure there will be a point when we will wonder if they really do mean it.

Michele_3 said...

I remeber when I wouldn't let my older son go swimming at the neighbors house one time because we had plans & he told me that he "hated me" I actually felt like crying-But told him that wasn't nice at all & what if I told him those mean things- He didn't like it very much when I made him think about it & eventually apologized to me..
She doesn't mean it- you know that without saying- but I agree it can be very hurtful to hear such mean words from our own children huh?
Take care!

Silly Hily said...

Oh no. So you mean I need to be ready for the possiblity of this happening next year instead of like you said, at least another ten years.
I'm sure hearing it for the first time really sucked and hurt but she really didn't mean it. I do think there will be a time when she does mean it (you know, the teen years) and when that happens, we can go to therapy together because THAT is going to be hard to deal with.

SJINCO said...

Keven Jr. has said this to me too, many times. I tell him that it's not nice and that really it's 'ok' that he feels that way (I know he doesn't mean it) because really all he's doing is expressing himself..which is good if you think about it (or maybe I'm just twisted?). I'd rather him express his feelings to me verbally, then hit me and bite like some kids I have had experiences with do. I think you reacted like any normal Mom would and handled the situation very well. There will be more times I'm sure though so brace yourself.