Thursday, May 17, 2007

Dreams

Ashley has stopped coming in our room every night in the middle of the night. Now it's only once or twice a week. And when she does, she normally has had a dream she feels she needs to share with me at 4:00am.

The other night, it was a dream about her toys being able to talk (and she did not watch Toy Story recently). Then it was about Papa Bear from the Berenstain Bears (anyone else totally annoyed with these books???) losing his shirt. She will have bad dreams too, but if she doesn't offer the information about those, I normally just hold her tight and tell her it's going to be alright.

She has dreams at nap time at school. The one the other day was about how she had lost her front tooth and the tooth fairy didn't come because she was stuck in her chair all day that was on fire. And this was relayed to me as a good dream. Weird.

Last night we went out to dinner, and she told me about a few more dreams she has had. I am amazed she remembers them as I don't remember any of mine anymore.

Anyone else out there with kids having vivid dreams? Is it just their imaginations in overdrive?

15 comments:

Erin said...

My son has so many vivid dreams that I can't even keep up. Lately it has been the monster in the closet with the white teeth and red eyes. He says to me every single morning that the monster visited him in his dreams again... sometimes he plays games with him, sometimes he reads him a book. Hey - I figure as long as he is a nice monster its okay, lol.

Kelly said...

WOW, I don't even think I dream at all! If I do...I am completely clueless about them! Its good that she can relay her dreams to you...at least you know most are good ones! The waking up at 4 in the morning..hmm probably could pick a better time ot share them with you! haha

Brown Eyed Girl said...

Kyle never had vivid dreams at that age because his adnoids prevented really good deep sleep..but holy cow..ONCE he had his tonsils and adnoids removed....at 7....Oh lordy...at least she's waking you less, right?

Happy Working Mom said...

My daughter has dreams, but definitely doesn't share with me near as many as Ashley does. And hers are just as vivid and crazy as well! I've heard that the lighter you sleep and the more you wake up in the middle of your sleep, the more likely you are to remember them. So this would make sense since she wakes up a lot at night (even if she's not coming to you as often). My daughter wakes up a ton at night too, so it all fits.

Rachel (Crazy-Is) said...

Kaylie is always telling me about dreams she says she's had. Crazy dreams. I always have dismissed it as her imagination, that she's not really having these dreams, she's just telling me she is. But, after reading this, maybe she is having them. Either way, I think alot of it has to do with their imaginations!

ChrisB said...

I think it's tied in with imagination, things they think about they sort of work through in their dreams. I know my grandchildren sometimes had nightmares. You might have a budding writer there!!

CPA Mom said...

Tigger has night terrors still. Doesn't remember them of course.

Michele_3 said...

My sons do the same things~
Unfortunately we only know when monkey m has had a bad one because of his screams-
But my other 2 will tell me about their dreams all the time- sometime I wonder if they are adding a little bit more details though- LOL!

Anonymous Fat Blogger said...

I'm not sure about Bug. Sometimes when she's telling me things I think she's just making stuff up. Pretty sad, huh?

That Chick Over There said...

My son does. All the time. The way he tells them is HILARIOUS.

Julie said...

Abby are started telling me she has dreams but when she relays them they are so "out there" that I tend to think she's just making them up. Mother of the year here!

frannie said...

those are some vivid dreams!

SJINCO said...

Keven Jr. has some pretty crazy, far out there dreams. I think it's due to his very vivid imagination.

my4kids said...

I think its a kid thing. Kenzie and Madison remember their dreams pretty vividly. The boys used to but not as much anymore. Kids sure can have some wierd dreams though! I know my girls have some strange dreams!

Portrait of Peter said...

How intrigued I was to read of you daughter's dreams and how vivid in content too.

Thank you for sharing.

Have a wonderful time.


Thank you for your prayers for Madeleine - please do continue.