Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Everyone wants to know about the party...

If you recall, last week Ray flew to Denver on Wednesday. I was in operation single parent mode until Saturday morning. On top of that, we had friends coming from out of town Friday to stay with us, and it was Ashley's birthday. Friday I decided I would take the girls to get their pictures done and then off to a kids museum. We ran around like crazy all day on Friday. Our friends showed up and we had even more fun. But for the second night in a row, Ashley did not go to bed until well after 10:00pm. That did not bode well for her birthday...

For the first time in her life, Ashley slept until 8:45am on Saturday morning. We were up and out of the house around 10:00am to stop by our friends house and then off to Ashley's party. Ray had made it home around 9:30am (with the Harry Potter book AND a new skirt for me)(and no, I am not done with the book, I have kids/school/work that keep getting in the way), but he had been awake since Friday morning. One word - GRUMPY TIRED.

Everyone is asking me about Ashley's party. I had high expectations for it, and it didn't really live up to my expectations. The lady/owner that ran the party was sort of abrupt. She tried to get the girls to sip their tea and act all ladylike, and then she told the parents we needed to be quiet. I think the girls would have been happier just runny around playing. Then the girls played Disney bingo which tired Ashley was not interested in. They attempted karaoke, but none of the girls were really interested in that either. In the end, I think everyone had fun, I just wish it was done a little better, more geared towards four year olds.

After the party, we said goodbye to our friends who stayed the night with us and headed to downtown Raleigh. Ray's coworker and the lead singer of Kickin Grass was playing at a free concert in downtown called Raleigh Wide Open. Ashley is a HUGE fan and we knew Jamie was going to wish her Happy Birthday from the stage.

It was priceless. Right before one of their last songs, Jamie wished her Happy Birthday and said she was his biggest fan. The look on Ashley's face was great, it was a mix between happy, shy, excited and embarrassed. I just wish I had captured the moment on video.

Look for pictures on Friday...I have yet to upload the pictures from my camera. Damn Harry Potter.

8 comments:

Pam said...

Sounds like she had a wonderful birthday. That is amazing that she got her special day announced at the concert- that is a wonderful birthday memory! Thanks for sharing this special day with us.

Edie said...

The party was great. The girls didn't realize that it wasn't oriented for four year olds. :)

Can't wait to see the pics on Friday.

Anonymous said...

How cool that her special day was made known to everyone at the concert!!

Glad the party was good--except for the chick running it.

Looking forward to pictures....

my4kids said...

Thats to bad you felt the lady was abrupt. It is silly to expect 4 yr olds to act like little ladies and sip tea. And to tell the parents to be quiet? As long as they had fun though.

That is cool her birthday was announced at the concert! That had to be exciting for her.

Rachel (Crazy-Is) said...

I'm sorry Ashley's party didn't go as well as you had hoped, but I'm glad she got her birthday announcement!! That was very sweet!

Beccy said...

Shame about the party but the concert sounds like it more than made up for it.

I knew the sooner I finished Harry the sooner normal family life would return!

Lawyer Mama said...

Awwww! It sounds like the kids had fun anyway & it sounds like the concert was a blast! Glad she had a great birthday!

Erin said...

Sorry the party didn't go as you expected - they rarely do though! I'm sure she had a great time anyhow, and it sure made up for it at the concert!!