Monday, July 23, 2007

Fun Monday - Best Friends

This week's task....

Tell us about your best friend. Particularly things like: where you first met, how long you've been friends and why you think you are best friends.

The rules also stated that it couldn't be your husband. Well, I am totally going to cheat. And yes, I have other best friends, but the one friend who is really there through thick and thin, day in and day out is Ray. I would be cheating myself if I didn't say he was my best friend.

Where We First Met:
As most of you know, we met in college. But let me back up just a little. We probably met when we were tiny babies as we were born 4 days apart, in the same hospital, by the same doctor. We also had the same pediatrician growing up until that pediatrician was killed in a plane crash (the one that crashed into the 14th Street bridge in DC). Our Moms went to high school together, my Dad went to high school with Ray's aunt.

My first two years at Virginia Tech I dated my high school sweetheart as did Ray. By both of our senior years, we were single again. Ray and I were both in a coed business fraternity, Alpha Kappa Psi. Our senior year, we both held positions, he was controller and I was the treasurer. The week we both turned 21 we hung out and officially started dating. I am pretty sure we went out every night that week. By the spring semester of our senior year, I had pretty much moved into Ray's apartment as he lived by himself. The rest is history.

**side note: the guy I dated from high school ended up marrying a girl Ray went to high school with...small world**

How Long Have We Been Friends:
I guess I answered that above, we started dating October 1996...damn, it's been a long time!

Why We Are Best Friends:
We compliment each other. Ray grounds me most days. He's a great listener. And most importantly, he is an amazing Father to our girls.

Okay, so go now and see the rest of the participants...

27 comments:

CPA Mom said...

I think it is great that you thought of Ray first on this. It was obvious to me how perfect the two of you are for each other. and you are BOTH great parents. I'm proud to know you both.

Anonymous said...

I'd have broken the rules, too, on this one :)

Ray sounds like an awesome person, husband, friend and Daddy. And you? Well, you already know I think you rock!!

Debs said...

Bravo for breaking the rules. :)

Great post. :)

Beccy said...

I think rules like that are made to be broken!!

Great post about Ray, you certainly sound like you were made for each other.

Julie said...

How sweet! Talk about a history together!

ChrisB said...

That's a great post, don't take any notice of WT's rules!!

Rachel (Crazy-Is) said...

It really is a small world. Even in a city as big as the one I live in; it's the same way.

Rules are made to be broken! I was gonna write about Chris as my best friend, but this Sunday is our anniversary and I'm gonna do an anniversary post so I guess I'll talk good about him in that!

Edie said...

Your husband should be your best friend!! :)

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a wonderful friend and a great husband.

Anonymous said...

Wow, obviously you were meant to be together!

Kaytabug said...

Rules schmules... they are meant to be broken! I broke them too! Your was a great story!

Beckie said...

I didn't follow the rules either...

Ray sounds like a keeper.

MommaBoo said...

I cheated, too. Don't feel bad. We'll just stey in at recess!

My hubby is my bff, too and anyone who isn't married to their best friend just doesn't understand, do they?

Anyway, this is a wonderful post. Thank you for sharing....

Molly said...

I love your post especially how you probably met as tiny babies. I am not sure, but your romance and friendship sounds like fate. You and Ray were destined for each other; either that or, you were mighty lucky to have met wach other

Molly said...

each other:)

Lost A Sock said...

I love this entry. What a great couple you guys are. I totally would have cheated, too. :o)

SJINCO said...

Yay for husbands as best friends! Isn't it crazy how SMALL the world is?

I had no idea that you had all that stuff in common.

Can't wait to meet Ray someday....

Tiggerlane said...

How cool! It's like the two of you were destined to be together.

Chalk another one up for the rule-breakers!

willowtree said...

Hey you cheated! Never mind. The reason I said that was because if I didn't then everyone would have written about their spouse, and I wanted to make sure we had a bit of a mixture.

Truth is, anyone who is in a sound relationship should consider their partner their best friend (my wife is actually my best friend).

Anonymous said...

Willi is my best friend also. I wouldn't want it any other way. It does sound like you two were star crossed from birth! What a nice story!

Raven_Dase said...

I also broke the rules:D:P Great post!

Anonymous said...

wow thats kinda weird how that worked out... so cool though!!

tee hee

i broke the rules to;)

Pamela said...

okay... you cheated. but it was lovely to read. When I got the part about a LONG TIME ...I giggled when you said.......since 1996.

my4kids said...

Thats pretty cool all the coinsidences with you and Ray. Like it was meant to be! I would have used Kelly to as he is truely my best friend.

willowtree said...

I don't know if you noticed it or not, but there was notice pinned to the participant list.

Congratulations, you were elected unanimously to host next week's shindig! (On account of everyone else who offered said "Ok, I could do it, but please see if you can find someone else")

theotherbear said...

Yay, I broke the rule for the same reason :)

AfKaP said...

Cute story!! My comment leaving word is "no debt y"

I wish it were true!!