Thursday, July 19, 2007

One night down, two to go...

Sleep has always been an issue in our house. As I have mentioned before, Ashley was a horrible sleeper. As a newborn, she was up multiple times a night for months on end. We took part in a sleep study with John Hopkins, did all the things we were supposed to, but she just didn't want to sleep. And honestly, she still probably doesn't go an entire week now without waking up once or twice at least one night a week calling for us or having a nightmare and needing some assistance. Lucky for us now, it mostly just requires retucking her in bed or finding her stuffed animal of the day to snuggle with.

At 18 months, she miraculously started sleeping through the night. That must be the magic number.

Audrey is finally having more nights of sleeping through the night a week than those where she wakes up. And if she wakes up, a little bit of water or a pat on the back cures all and she goes back to sleep. And guess what? She was 18 months old yesterday.

One thing that worries me when Ray is away is the nights. I worry that both of them will all of a sudden be awake all night long and I will be so tired that I can't handle it. Of course, I am sure I would be able to handle it if that did happen, but I am a perpetual worrier. I worry about everything.

Last night was a piece of cake. Audrey slept fine as did Ashley. Of course, it probably helped with Ashley that she slept in bed with me, but hey, it's almost her birthday, it's a special treat. And she liked the slumber party, as she kept calling it.

Only one mishap yesterday...Audrey fell in our driveway and scraped her cheek and chin. It was like slow motion when she fell and she was only a few feet from me.

Only two nights to go...and a million things to worry about.

15 comments:

Wendy said...

I hope that 18 months is the magic number for us also:)

Edie said...

YAY for the girls!! Hayden still wakes up in the middle of the night a few times a week too. Either she's had a bad dream or she's slept on her arm funny and it has fallen asleep or something. She probably won't be consistent sleeping thru the night til she's 12 or something crazy like that.

BTW - she stunk at sleeping when she was an infant/toddler too!!

Michele_3 said...

Hang in there, I hope the 2 nights will go quickly for you.. Hubby told me yesterday he is going back to India for 3 weeks (for work) soon in a couple of months- I'm hating every bit of it! Too Far away!

Sorry about Audrey's boo-boo, I hope she didn't cry too much! OUCH!
Take Care!

ChrisB said...

Oh poor little sole falling hope her face is not too sore; those slow motion things are awful because you cannot react quickly enough to prevent it. The next two night will pass quickly so try not to worry too much!

CPA Mom said...

It always does seem to happen in slow motion doesn't it?

Happy Working Mom said...

We have the exact same sleep issues in our house. My daughter always gets up up once a night. Last night I was smart and let her sleep with us because we had huge thunderstorms, and I knew if I didn't I would be up her room many times in the middle of the night.

I hope the rest of the time Ray's gone the girls sleep great!

Are you and Audrey feeling better?

Anonymous said...

Poor Audrey and her little driveway mishap!! Morgan had a similar incident on the patio last week :(

Horray for sleeping better. I'm not saying anything as I'm not going to jinx what goes on here :)

Rachel (Crazy-Is) said...

I'm glad that Audrey is ok!! It will be over before you know it. I feel your pain, though. Chris left on Sunday for Louisville and didn't get back until yesterday.

Lost A Sock said...

You can do it! Fifteen months was our lucky number for both kids and sleep. Not that they don't still get up sometimes, but night wakings dropped off drastically for them at that age.

Hang in there. I already have my revenge plotted for their teenage years. Just wait until they want to sleep past nine. Mwahahaha!

frannie said...

glad the kids slept well last night... Ray will be home soon!

la bellina mammina said...

Hope Audrey is alright!
LP had always been a good sleeper - 18 mo is not really a magical numer for me unfortunately, as he tends to wake up a few times a week.

Beccy said...

only does it happen in slow motion but I find myself glued to the spot unable to move!

Beccy said...

It missed out the NOT at the beginning!

SJINCO said...

I'm not even going to mention the "S" word here.....

Just not going to.

Hope that Audrey is okay - I hate it when they fall down and hurt themselves! It sucks, it really does especially when you are RIGHT THERE.

Isaac falls down a lot too - totally sucks. But I love it when he says "Bo bo" for "booboo". It's too cute.

Ray will be home soon! Hang in there....

Kelly said...

Hopefully things went well the remaining 2 nights!!