Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Ashley, protein, and sugar

Ashley has had a couple of episodes over the past few weeks where she eats some sort of sweet sugary food over the course of a day (like cake at a birthday party, then dessert with dinner) and she gets nauseous and shaky. She didn't really have any other symptoms, but considering the amount of people in our families that have diabetes, we were just a little concerned.

So I took her in to the pediatrician this morning. He did a thorough exam and asked a ton of questions. There are other symptoms of diabetes she isn't showing like frequent urination, decrease in appetite and losing weight (considering she has gained 4 pounds since last August, her appetite is just fine). What he thinks is going on is a sensitivity to sugar, where her protein level is low, but her carbs and sugar level is high. What four year old doesn't love carbs? Heck, even I love carbs. So we will make some changes to her breakfast and her snacks and keep track of what she eats. A relief, yes.

17 comments:

Sabrina said...

Well, thank God for that!

Misty said...

i imagine that was very scary! Thank God that it's just an imbalance!

Wendy said...

Yikes...glad she is okay!! Hopefully you can get it all figured out just by changing her diet around.

Anonymous said...

Thankfully it's not something worse!

Laura said...

Thank goodness. Fingers crossed that is what it is and it can be controlled with diet control...good luck!

Lori said...

glad you got it figured out... hope the changes help her!

frannie said...

wow-- that must have been a relief!

Julie said...

abby can get really nasty if she has sugar on an empty stomach - like the sugar takes control of her and turns her into devil child!

at least it's not diabetes though!

Pam said...

I'm glad it wasn't anything more serious!

Mel said...

I'm glad it was good news! I am a carb fan too!

That Chick Over There said...

I used to get really bad headaches when I had sugar. I've outgrown it. Which is good for me, bad for my waistline.

Happy Working Mom said...

I'm sure that was a huge relief! But still, what a pain to constantly worry about the balance. Good luck!

SJINCO said...

So glad to hear the good news!

3XMom said...

I am also a big diabetes-watcher, as my mom had Type 1. Doesn't it drive you crazy that there isn't some kind of predictive test??? Makes me insane. Basically I have been told we will only know if one of my kids gets sick (ie is having an insulin reaction). ARghhh.

Glad she is ok.

Rachel (Crazy-Is) said...

Thank goodness!! I hope that a few changes in her diet makes things much better!

Kelly said...

That must be a relief!!

Brandi said...

So glad they don't think it's diabetes. I have to take Kenzie in to be checked soon. She gets bad migraines, we thought stemmed from the need for glasses, but she is still getting them. So now to check for the big D!