Monday, January 25, 2010

It would be nice to have negative splits back...

I am running (or walking) a half marathon on February 13th. So on the schedule this weekend for the long run was 8 miles. Which I have done before obviously, but now with my knees (both IT bands are giving me issues now), 8 miles takes on a new meaning.

My running partner and I headed to the Tobacco Trail here in the Raleigh area. A great trail for running - it's pretty flat, mile markers, real restrooms at a few places along the way. We started at mile 0 and did 4 out, 4 back. It was cold, probably upper 30's low 40's, and I was dressed in my new running tights, two layers of shirts, gloves, and ear warmers.

Mile splits looked like this:

Mile 1: 10:33
Mile 2: 10:42
Mile 3: 9:35 (no idea why that mile was so much faster!)
Mile 4: 10:52
Mile 5: 11:33 (we walked a bit to take some Clif Bloks)
Mile 6: 10:51
Mile 7: 11:00 (IT bands on both legs were getting pretty tight at this point, and I had a stitch)
Mile 8: 11:24

So much for finishing strong! My knees were okay the rest of the day and the next. I actually go back to my ortho doctor tomorrow, and will probably get cortisone shots.

I just want my old running legs back. The ones from my previous training. These legs are no good. If only I could sell them on ebay....

1 comment:

@m9f said...

I too have delt with IT band issues. I hope you can continue to run without further complications. Keep it up!