Monday, March 01, 2010

Good run vs. bad run

I had some terrific runs last week. I did all three runs outside, and my 4 miler on Thursday was probably my fastest 4 miles ever (and yes, I realize I am still quite slow, but whatever, it's fast to me).

Mile 1: 9:13
Mile 2: 9:35
Mile 3: 9:26
Mile 4: 9:21

So I was looking forward to Sunday's long run of 7 miles. My running buddy and I headed to the Tobacco Trail early Sunday morning to get them in. We would just obviously do 3.5 miles out, 3.5 miles back. And after my fantastic 6 miles last weekend, I was fully expecting to do well this weekend.

And I am going to blame the Tobacco trail this time. I had a few moments where I had a sudden sharp pain in my knee, and I think just running on the trail was the cause. Maybe it's wrong shoes, maybe I am just so used to running on pavement. My running friend had the same issue except with her hip. So we are giving up on the Tobacco trail for our long runs. I just think the terrain is too much.

Anyway, here are the stats. And yes, we stopped at 6.68 miles because I went to step behind my friend as we were passing people, and I stepped in a rut and twisted my knee. I am completely fine now, but it hurt like hell when I did it.

Mile 1: 9:58
Mile 2: 10:01
Mile 3: 9:37
Mile 4: 10:05
Mile 5: 10:18
Mile 6: 10:40
Mile .68: 9:54

My friend is unfortunately (or fortunately for her) getting faster than me. I can still hold a conversation at this pace, but I could tell she could go faster and still talk. Maybe someday I will get there, who knows.

1 comment:

Ann said...

I think it is funny how your perception of slow is so different from mine :). To me you are FAST! Hope your next long run is better!

Wish I could do Raleigh Rocks with you but we are supposed to be in Richmond for the Ukrops 10K that weekend. Plus, you would leave me in the dust pretty quickly. My fastest mile during my half was a little over an 11:30 pace.