Monday, November 08, 2010

Less than a week

The OBX Half marathon is next Sunday. I did 12 miles on Saturday in my very freaking hilly town, so I am thinking I am pretty ready for a nice flat course (except for the bridge at mile 10...).

I am definitely more prepared than I was for last year's race and the half marathon I did in March. I didn't run over 10 miles as a long run for either of those, and I did zero speedwork.

But the crappy thing? I received an email update this weekend and they won't be providing pace groups, a very last minute decision. Which really sucks because I was banking on running with the 2 hour pacer. I guess I will still try for 2 hours, but that really bums me out. I don't think I can alone push myself to run a sub-2 hour half. Maybe I can and I am underestimating myself, but I just don't know.

I am trying to also stay away from diet soda this week. This should be interesting.

So my goals for the race? The pie in the sky would be to finish in 1:59:59. Really, I think that is a HUGE stretch. It will be interesting, this is the first race I am running without a friend. A more realistic goal is to beat my previous time of 2 hours and 10 minutes. Or I could just treat it as a training run for my full marathon in February like my training plan for the full marathon says, but I don't know. I guess on Sunday morning I will be able to say how I feel and how I will run. Kind of cheating to wait until Sunday morning to set my goals, but no one said life was fair.

1 comment:

SJINCO said...

Good luck on your race! You'll do super, I just know it...

*my word verification for this post is 'supar' thought that was funny.