Thursday, January 11, 2007

And the saga continues...

When I was home with Ashley on Wednesday, she was trying to use the bathroom. I told her just try to "get the poops out." At which she answered "Patience, Mommy, patience."

Patience is all we have left. Yesterday, Ray took Ashley to the doctor. On his way to the doctor's office, he called me and asked if I thought Ashley really needed to go. I told him it wouldn't hurt, and that she wasn't getting any better. Well, it's a good thing he took her, she has pneumonia. All along, we have been giving Ashley Tylenol and she takes it happily. "Bottoms up" Ray tells her and she will drink it. So Ray got her prescription filled thinking piece of cake. Nope, not really. He fought with her for three hours to try and take the medicine. And then I came home from work and fought with her, finally holding her down and using a syringe to squirt it in her mouth, all the while she is trying to spit it out. We tried bribes, we tried doing what she asked, we tried mixing it, we tried food coloring because she wanted it pink. Nothing worked. Ray and I are physically and emotionally drained. Good news though, this morning she started the fight again and I got the syringe, and then she took it without spitting it out. Hopefully tonight she will actually drink it on her own.

Remember how we took Audrey on Monday and she just had fluid on her ears? Well, I was up with her until midnight, Ray took her until 2:00 am, I took her until 4:00 am, and then my Mom got up with her. Yup, my Mom came down last night because I think she could hear the desperation in our voices and she wanted to help us out. I have no leave at work as I have to take vacation days for holidays (one of the "perks" of working for a hospital) and Ray has a settlement and client meetings today and tomorrow. So Ray is at the doctors office right now with Audrey. I will let you know what happens.... Update - Audrey has an ear infection and RSV. We have the green light to go to an ENT for tubes.

Onto a funnier note - yesterday my office mate was talking about the show Beauty and the Geek. I guess they asked one of the "beauties" the question "What is heavier? A pound of gold or a pound of feathers?". My office mate said she was watching the show with her sister and answered "Gold of course!". This is the same office mate that asked me if people could see out of glass eyes. Hmmmm. So she also works at a bar at night (she's young and has lots of energy) and she asked the question to another waitress who then asked, "Well, what kind of feathers?". Really? So our admin person comes in to our office at that point. I ask her the question. She said "Gold, right?". Where the heck did I move to???

10 comments:

Happy Working Mom said...

Poor girl! I'm glad she's doing a little better with the medicine, and I hope she does drink it herself tonight! That's so nice of your mom to come and help you! My mom always offers to help, but when it comes down to it she's more work than she is help. I hope the girls feel better really soon!

Jaki said...

Aren't Moms the BEST!!! Sounds like tubes will be the answer for that girl of yours....you will probably wonder why you waited so long once you get them. I hope Ashley feels better soon too!

Jennifer said...

I had tubes put in my ears twice. I remember it helped so much the first time. The second time I was old enough to understnd it would be easier to have it done in the docs office. Never ever do that!
Hang in there....functioning with little sleep is tuff.

Stu said...

Maybe you should try giving the girls a little Jim Beam with dinner...I usually sleep well after drinking a bottle of it (anytime of day actually) and I never seem to have a cold (I do believe that alcohol kills germs, right?). LOL

Rachel (Crazy-Is) said...

I feel for you guys. I wish there was something I could do to help, but, I am not near there. Of course, I've been there, done that. From RSV to pneumonia then to strep and bronchitis. I am glad she went to the doctor and I bet those babies will be back to normal before you know it. And, YAY for tubes!

Michele_3 said...

Oh Goodness Girl!
you really got your hands full!

pneumonia is not fun, I got it twice last year! I hope everyone gets feeling better soon & you get as many breaks as possible!



Take Care!
:)

Erin said...

Jeesh - I must be tired because I answered gold too, lol! It took me about 2 minutes to figure out thye both weight exactly the same thing, lol. DOH!

Sorry about the kiddos!!

SJINCO said...

I'm so sorry to hear that Audrey has RSV. And hopefully the tubes will help, let me know if you have any questions, being that we just went through the same thing.

And pneumonia? Wow.

If I lived closer I would help, I really would. Thank goodness your Mom was able to come and help. I've been to that point of desparation and it really is hard to hold it together.

Let me know if you need anything, seriously - ANYTHING.

Lost A Sock said...

Oh your poor kids -- and poor you!!

It's funny that you mention the syringe thing, with Ashley then taking the medicine, because KJ is the exact same way. Take it quick, or it's going in the syringe. Works like a charm...

Good luck - and I'm sending some healthy vibes your way.

That Chick Over There said...

I'm sorry about the other things but the pound of gold and feathers made me laugh. I think ALL THE TIME, "Where did I move??!!?"