Wednesday, March 19, 2008

It might smell like a brothel....

On Sunday night, I tucked Ashley in as usual and left the room. She immediately called me back in and told me she was scared to be alone. She has been having a few fears pop up lately (like at the playground we went on Saturday, she was afraid to climb to the top of this climbing thing, I know, I am really descriptive.) which isn't like her. I am assuming that as she gets older and becomes more aware of her surroundings, we will find more fears.

Anyways, I went back to my room and grabbed my bottle of perfume. I normally wear Happy by Clinique, but this bottle happens to be some free sample I got at Victoria's Secrets (or Secretions as I lovingly call the place...). I took it back to her and played on the Happy theme. I told her that one spray will make everything in her room happy and there would be no reason for fear. I sprayed it once, coughed on the fumes, and handed her the bottle. She wanted to sleep with it sitting on her bed (she has a day bed with a ledge on it so she could sit the bottle on the ledge), so I gave it to her and left the room.

I always go back and check on the girls before I go to bed. When I opened Ashley's door that night, I was almost knocked over by the fumes. She must have sprayed that bottle 15 times.

But it's working, and I am not messing with something that works.

And no, nothing was in our mailbox on Tuesday...Wednesday is probably the day. Keep your fingers crossed that Ashley has been randomly selected to go to the magnet school.

23 comments:

BoufMom9 said...

LOL! I have a suggestion... It's something I did for my sons when they were younger. I bought a decorative spray bottle at Walmart (or somewhere cheap like that), then I printed out the words "Monster Spray" with a picture of a monster in a GhostBuster type thingy (see how descriptive I am. LOL)
Then, I filled the bottle with water & a little bit of vanilla (you buy it at the craft stores).
Every night before they went to bed, I would go in the room and spray it in the air and say "go away monsters". LOL
It worked for a few years. heehee
And, it didn't smell like a brothel. LOL

Lori said...

well at least it worked... tomorrow you'll have to think of a more "kid friendly" ok anyone friendly scent!

Steph said...

That is too funny! At least it worked though!!!

Good luck on the school thing, and keep us updated.

Laura said...

Oh how cute...and smelly!

We gave our son a flashlight with a tiger's head that roars...every so often at 2 am we will hear, "GO away monster, my tiger eats you" and then a roar from the flash light!

I thnk you are right that as they get older they get more aware of their surroundings and more fears develop.

Thank you for sharing...hope her clothes do not smell too badly!

Happy Working Mom said...

My daughter is going through the same thing right now...all of a sudden things in her room scare her.

You had a great idea, I'll have to try it!

Julie said...

Secretions??? HAHA - that is funny!

Hey, whatever gets them to sleep!

Fingers still crossed for you letter!

Sabrina said...

....that's why most people used bottle water as a "monster spray"....not secretions sprays....

We used to tell Alyssa that there were no such things as monsters and if there were, Sassy would bark at them and scare them away.

Another mommy used to tell her kids that they were too poor to afford to have monsters....

Hey, whatever works!

Kellie said...

Wish I'd know you love Happy. I had two bottles (one brand new and one just about full). I use to love it and wear it all the time, but it started messing with my nose and throat anytime I'd spray it. I'd have sent them to you rather than giving them to a friend I don't really like.

emorc said...

Guess I've got all this to look forward to! At the moment our little one just has an uncanny ability to wake up at 1am. Whatever monsters are nudging him awake they only seemed to be soothed away when his head hits my pillow :)

Lost A Sock said...

I'm so glad that's working for you!! KJ has a similar massive fear at night, so he's got two night lights in his bedroom, and we have to keep the two hall lights on until he falls asleep. I have no idea how anyone can sleep with it that bright in the room.

Keeping fingers crossed for Ashley's letter.

Rachel said...

Hey, you gotta do what you gotta do!

Emma in Canada said...

Hehe. Whatever works. We had the same sort of idea with a little jar of owie cream. An owie that a kiss just didn't make better always got a little rub of this cream. Worked like magic.

Beth said...

TOO FUNNY!!!! We do the "Monster Spray" as well - although so far it has worked with just an empty bottle!!!!

Terri O'Laughlin said...

I may have to try the monster spray. My 3 year old (4 next month) had developed a fear of "something" in her room!! Here's to hoping you got your letter today!

Pam said...

That is a great idea....if you can handle the smell! I will have to remember this as my kids get older!

Here is hoping you heard something about the magnet school....I feel your pain. We are waiting to hear if hubby got a 2nd interview for this position he wants.....I hate waiting and not knowing!

Edie said...

That's awesome that that idea worked!!! She had to have sprayed it a ton!! :)

Very funny!!

That Chick Over There said...

LOLtastic!

Kelly M said...

Hey whatever works!! I like boufmom9's idea with the spray bottle and scent.

Fingers are crossed Ashley got into the Magnet school!! PLease be sure to let us know!

Jen @ One Moms World said...

What a good idea! I did have to chuckle about the spraying almost 15 times. Too cute.

frannie said...

you put a smile on my face!

SJ said...

Wow! That's a great idea....how come I've never thought of that!

bermudabluez said...

Terrific Idea Amy!! I never would have thought of that....now if you have any idea for a 2 year old who is waking up at FOUR AM and not going back to sleep....too much noise! Let me know. Apparently there is a highway near the house and the trucks are waking him up and he can't get back to sleep. So, my stepdaughter is pulling her hair out!!

my4kids said...

haha....sorry at least it worked to help her sleep....
They do seem to get more fears as they get older but then it tends to ease off after a little bit when they get old enough to understand why they don't need to be afraid of those things.