Tuesday, July 07, 2009

Stove Top Challenge - Week 2

I realize this was supposed to be posted last week, but hey, I try. I will post this week's tomorrow as we are eating it tonight.

I try to think of some non-chicken dishes to use Stove Top. I saw while perusing the Kraft Kitchens website a recipe with chili and cornbread stuffing.

So I adapted it to my chili recipe, and here it is:

Chili-Cornbread Stuffing Bake

Ingredients:
1 pound ground turkey
1 season pack of Lawry's chili seasoning (or whatever chili seasoning you use)
1 bottle of Heinz chili sauce, 12 ounce bottle
1 box of Stove Top Cornbread Stuffing
1 1/2 cups of water
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Directions:
1. Brown the turkey meat and drain. Add the chili seasoning and chili sauce and simmer for about 10 minutes.
2. Combine the Stove Top Cornbread Stuffing with the water.
3. In a 2 quart casserole dish, place the chili on the bottom and sprinkle the cheese on top. Cover with the Stove Top Cornbread Stuffing.
4. Bake for 30 minutes at 400 degrees.

The cost? I am going to have to guesstimate again, as I had all these ingredients on hand. I pulled these prices off the internet:
Ground Turkey - I am going to guess $3.00
Lawry's Seasoning Mix - $1.29 (per their website)
Heinz Chili Sauce - $2.49
Stove Top Cornbread Stuffing - $1.74 (price at Walmart)
Cheddar Cheese - $1.00 - (bought at 2 cup pack for $2.00 at Walmart)

So total cost of the meal? $9.52. Another economical meal.

Did the family like it? I actually served the kids theirs in a tortilla, without the stuffing. Yes, I tricked them into thinking they were eating tacos, but it worked. Ray liked it as well.

Tonight - Velveeta, chicken and stuffing....yummmm.

No comments: