Friday, February 12, 2010

This has not started how I had planned....

Audrey had been complaining that her leg hurt on and off for the past few days. She was really only complaining about it in the morning, so I chalked it up to growing pains. Then Wednesday she was complaining about it in the evening, but that was it, just saying her leg hurt. No signs of pain, no limping, nothing.

Thursday was a different story. Ray picked her up from school, and she had been fine but by the time I got home, she was no longer walking and if you tried to pick her up, she wouldn't wrap her legs around you and she cried. Like she was in a lot of pain cry.

I was taking the girls to the talent show at Ashley's school while Ray was meeting his brother for dinner. I had already decided that as soon as Ray got home, I would take Audrey to the ER. I got to the talent show and ran into some neighbors, the one who is a physician's assistant at the ER. He checked Audrey out and made the call to the hospital to tell them I was coming. He thought it was best if I went ahead up there sooner than later. Ray was already on his way home, and the neighbors watched Ashley until Ray got there.

I got there around 7:00pm, and got right in (and probably made the people in the waiting room pissed as they took me right back...). After x-rays, blood work, ultrasound, an iv, and an orthopaedic consult, it was determined she had transient synovitis. Doctors don’t know the exact cause of transient synovitis of the hip, but they think it is caused by a virus (the stomach bug she had) or an allergic reaction to an infection somewhere else in the body. Transient synovitis of the hip is an inflammation and swelling of the tissues around the hip joint. Usually only one hip is affected, in Audrey's case, her right hip. Transient synovitis of the hip is the most common cause of sudden hip pain in children.

She was given an anti-inflammatory through her iv, and was able to walk out of the ER at 2:00am. Neither she nor I had slept any, so when the alarm went off this morning to get Ashley ready for school, I was tired.

She is limping today, but doing much better. Who knew having a virus could cause inflammation of your hip.

I am also supposed to leave this afternoon for Myrtle Beach for the 1/2 Marathon tomorrow morning. SNOW IS IN THE FORECAST BOTH HERE AND AT MYRTLE. If only I were kidding. The race start time has been pushed back by 30 minutes, and they will make the call by 5:00pm tonight whether to cancel it or not.

Have I mentioned before how much I hate snow???


Ashley said...

Found your blog via Tall Mom's High Five. I hope your Audrey is feeling better soon! Good luck this weekend!

Anonymous said...

Hope Audrey is doing better! Poor girl :(

We still have nothing for snow. Some snow here and there, but mostly nasty brown grass showing.

Hope the marathon isn't canceled!

Stephanie Estridge said...

Hey there! Saw your blog through Mell (Tall Moms) listing that you're also running in Myrtle Beach tomorrow. Since you're so much closer... any idea how much snow their getting? Do you think they will cancel?? I hope not!!!

We're supposed to land at 9:20 tonight-- I'm extra hoping they don't cancel my flight :\

Hope everything goes well this weekend and you have a great race!

Kerrie said...

Oh my goodness. I'm glad she is OK. How scary.

Pamela said...

I'm so glad it wasn't something worse --
kinda of made me get a lump in my throat when I first started reading...